Private Gardener for Residence/Spa - Georgian Bay
by David Warburton
(Orangeville, Ontario, Canada)
Location: Tiny Beaches Rd. Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada (2hrs Northwest of Toronto)
Setting: Guest house, spa and gardens located on back dunes overlooking one of the best fresh water beaches in world
Description: gardens are planted with a wide assortment of trees, evergreens, shrubs, perennials, grasses, herbs, tree fruits, small fruits, and vegetables. Many are planted in lightly amended sand (dunes) in “meadow” arrangements.
Housing (if needed): in spacious, self-contained apartment in client owned house on nearby property
Agent: David Warburton & Cie General Responsibilities
1. To clearly understand and follow the job description provided by the client concerning the care and maintenance of their gardens.
2. To clearly understand and follow the client’s objectives concerning food growing on the property. Specific Responsibilities
1. Provide strong, informed, organized support to the owners concerning their gardens.
2. Closely monitor all plantings on site for health, fertility, productivity, and ornamentality
3. The owner is an avid and interested gardener; ensure that all outside areas (gardens, paths, hard surfaces, etc.) are always presented at their best and meet client expectations.
4. Create and follow exactly a work schedule designed to meet the needs of the owners, gardens, spa, and flexible enough to accommodate busy clients who travel extensively.
5. Order all plant materials, tools, seeds, etc., that garden requires, bearing in mind quality and cost track spa cost separately
6. Maintain the garden to protect and extend the designers’ original conception. Maintain aesthetics and proportions thru pruning, pinching, fertility, etc.
7. In consultation with the owner and guest house chef, organize and implement a plan for the food grown on site from seed ordering to final harvest.
8. Always interact sensitively and professionally with guest during their time in the gardens. Critical Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes
Successful candidates should have at least three years of hands on experience in managing and maintaining gardens and be familiar with organic or natural approaches. Candidates must have valid Ontario G class driver’s license, their own vehicle, and be in good physical condition.
Instruction on some of the following points is available from original installer to otherwise satisfactory candidates:
1. Soil building, fertilizers, pH, compost and composting
2. Tree, shrub, perennial ID and specific cultural needs
3. Tree fruit, small fruit I.D and culture
4. Vegetables, perennial, and annual I.D and culture, with some knowledge of best selections and relative nutrient values an asset
5. Herb I.D and culture, some culinary and nutritional awareness an asset
6. Weed I.D, perennial and annual, growth habits, and natural controls
7. Insect, and disease I.D and natural controls
8. Pruning, dead heading, cutting back, pinching, thinning etc.
9. Seeding, planting, division and some propagation
10. Opening gardens in the spring, winterizing in late fall respecting the power of the lakeside environment
11. Awareness of design and the means to maintain good aesthetic proportions in an evolving gardenOrganizing and Planning
1. Schedule all important activities in the garden such as divisions, fertilizations, pinching, etc., throughout the year.
2. Draw up personal schedule respecting owners, garden needs, personal health, and economics of situation.
3. Track expenses of garden
4. Prepare detailed estimates for large ticket items, or projects to present to owners
5. Develop a network of suppliers (local if possible) and order in timely fashion Interpersonal
Must appear neat, well groomed, and professional at all times
Good communication skills
Interact pleasantly and informatively with guests and staffExcellence
1. Abide by the highest standards of personal integrity and accountability to the owner concerning time management, quality of work, and financial reporting.
2. Help provide an unforgettable stay for visitors so they will return, go viral with their experiences, and support the objectives of the owner to provide a healing, restorative retreat for her guests. Please Submit a Resume demonstrating the above qualifications, salary expectations and references to:
Phone: 519 942 4129